Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Hip-Hop Observation 1: Loon

In The Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful

"Those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and establish regular prayers and regular charity, will have their reward with their Lord: on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve." (The Holy Qur'an, Ch. 2, v. 277)







Peace Be Unto All of You,

I'm dedicating my first blog to my dear brother, Amir Junaid Muhadith, who is also known as Loon. Once a side-kick to P. Ditty, he wrote the lyrics to many songs including the hit, "I Need a Girl", Part 1 & 2. His career in Hip-Hop seemed to be taking off like a space shuttle to the moon. But in 2008 while on tour in Dubai, he did something his peers or his fans never imagined. He migrated from the Hip-Hop cipher known for its "blunts and broads, tits and bras, menage-a-tois", and entered the cipher of Islam, beautified by its Salaat and Zakaat (the 5 Daily Prayers and Manditory charity for the poor), and its Siyaam and Qiyaam (Fasting and Standing in the late night hours in prayer).

Some may wonder, "Why would he do such a thing"? From all of the interviews he's given since his conversion in 2008, his answer to that has always been along the lines of ,"Because I've finally found the peace and happiness I was searching for in the music business, which in actuality is purely a mirage". Emcees go on and on about wealth and how many women they have, and yet Loon informs us how everything that glitters isnt' gold.

Today's commercial Hip-Hop is deluding a lot of our youth into chasing after this material life, promising that it will bring about happiness beyond their wildest beliefs. However, trying to acquire happiness this way is like trying to catch one's shadow. The more you run after it, the more it runs away from you.

-Verbal

"What is the life of this world but play and amusement? But best is the home in the hereafter, for those who are righteous. Will ye not then understand?" (The Holy Qur'an, Ch. 6, v. 32)



(See Loon's Interview on Al-Jazeera)

2 comments:

  1. OMG i didnt even know that he went through this transition!!...Im glad that he found himself even though he was pretty...beautiful before haha. Sometimes it takes a life changing experience within your life to change your view life in general. Bottom line tomorrow isnt promised so take life one day at a time and within that time you will find what you really want out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inner Peace is a beautiful thing....and yes everything that glitters isn't gold.... relating current music as mirage. The mirage can appear to quench your thirst…..and pull the wool over your eyes thinking dancing, singing, or humming your troubles away will fix it. History has a way of repeating itself….like picking cotton for the master on the plantation….ole lord, it’s gone be betta days…but I’m gonna pick this cotton for ole massa cuz hessa provide for usz… As I reflect we all have been enslaved and fell for the okie doke. If you’re caught up in the mirage of popping bottle and the bling-bling you have now committed yourself to another aspect of slavery. It’s the twenty first century and we’re still enslaved, I don’t know about your but I thought slavery was over. When does it stop, it doesn’t or does it? I must admit I was once enslave to the mirage I’m gonna be the Baddest Chick up in the club. I’m gonna get my hair did and buy what I thought was the flyest outfit. It’s ok to dress up when you’re a kid….I made believe when I was 8 years old and I did it again when I was in my early twenties. You grew out of it when I was 9 and again when I was in my late twenties. The most important is to realize the okie doke and grow up and find inner peace.

    So is it “Gold” or “Fool’s Gold” we chasing…….TaBu

    ReplyDelete